As I mentioned in a recent post, the reason I made my Etro shift dress was because I promised a white lace dress for one of my good friends. Well, here it is! She wore it to the BBQ/welcome dinner for her wedding and it fit her near perfectly, if I do say so myself :)
The dress was made from a frankenpattern combination of a Burda Cap Sleeve Shift Dress and Butterick 5706. For more info, see the previous post.
I bought the white lace from Gorgeous Fabrics, and I still have quite a bit left. Guess I’ll have to wait until another friend gets married to use it!
If you remember, I also made myself a white lace dress for my own wedding. For that dress, I both underlined the lace, and lined the entire dress. However, this resulted in a very heavy dress and I wanted to avoid that for Amy’s dress.
Because she wanted the lining to be shorter at the neckline to reveal some lace, I had to do some thinking on how to underline/line the dress. I’m not sure if what I did was technically appropriate, but it worked out really well. It isn’t a ‘proper’ underlining since the neckline is clearly different to give the illusion of a slip, but the two layers are sewn together at the darts and side seams. I did this because I wanted the two layers to be one piece and because I thought that if I sewed the darts separately, the rayon underlining would end up collapsing since it is much more fluid than the lace. I used a lovely soft rayon twill for the underlining by the way (which I believe is from Harts).
I totally eyeballed the alterations I made to the rayon neckline to make it look like a slip, but somehow it magically worked! I cut the back in the straight line from the top of the side seam, and cut the front to mirror the lace.
I posted this on Instagram, but I added ‘Something Blue’ to the dress in the form of a zipper stop (bottom left corner above).
I’m going to post the order of construction below in case you’re curious how this went together. Also, because I want it written down in case I need to make a dress like this again :)
Order of construction:
- Cut out front and back pieces in lace and lining.
- Alter neckline of lining and bind with HugSnug, adding extra long straps from the front which will be attached to the back.
- Shorten lining and hem (bind with HugSnug)
- Hand-baste together lining and lace along the sides.
- Sew darts through both layers of fabric (front and back darts).
- Sew shoulders.
- Bind armholes and neckline. Trim down seam allowance and machine sew on HugSnug. Then turn to inside and hand sew.
- Sew HugSnug along side seam allowances.
- Insert zipper and sew other side seam.
- Attach straps of lining to the back lining piece.
Below is the interior of the neckline where you can see the HugSnug was machine-stitched to the lace and the hand-sewed with a running stitch. It isn’t visible from the right side at all.
Here I am with the Bride along with another close friend (we were all in the same year of our hockey team in college). I made myself a last minute Vogue 1179 in a coral rayon knit. I mostly likely won’t review that pattern, but suffice it to say it’s super comfortable and I can definitely see myself making it again.
Congratulations on the beautiful wedding Amy and have fun in Thailand for your honeymoon!!