NOTE: I’m not sure why all the pictures are crooked, but I’m aware and going to figure it out!
Despite not posting here, I have been sewing quite a bit. Mostly ‘boring’ knit tops that weren’t interesting enough to motivate me to take pictures of. Recently, however, I decided to sew outerwear. I’ve always admired beautiful coats and jackets, and I was looking for more complex projects, so here we go!
First up is the Alegra Coat from StyleArc. A relatively simple coat, here is StyleArc’s description:
This is our version of the new collarless coat. The clever cocoon shape is created by the darts on the hemline. Darts over the shoulder line also create interest in this design. The zip front makes this coat very functional.
In terms of style, I was so sure going into this project. But I figured I needed to start somewhere. It is a cocoon shape but is designed well and not terribly oversized through the body. I’ve worn it a few times and it is very comfortable and easy to wear. Take note that the sleeves are quite short, which I didn’t expect. Given, however, that it is an unlined coat and I used a mid-weight wool, it will likely be worn in spring and fall.
I apologize for the poor quality iPhone photos, but at least they were taken!
Of course, I’m sure you’re all curious about those big sleeves! Yes, I do look like a star-fish if I stand with my arms out; thankfully, I rarely stand like this :)
I purchased the fabric from Fabric Place Basement in Natick, MA. It’s a lovely red brushed wool with what looks like a knit backing, although it has no stretch. I like the end result, but a fabric with a bit more drape or softness would probably hang better in the sleeves. I bought a red double-separating zipper from ZipperStop, which is great quality. The facing is a red twill that I had in stash.
I top-stitched all the seams and finished the seams with my serger. Here’s the darts that create a shoulder-ish shape in the big sleeves. I also top-stitched the darts which looks really cool and makes the simple shape a bit more modern.
The entire facing was understitched but also stitched down to the coat (see next picture).
The upper back has a fun collar of sorts. The facing was attached to the coat to keep it down by stitching in the ditch.
Lower hem darts and back seam.
So that’s it! I’m probably forgetting something I wanted to comment on but oh well. Posted with inperfection is better than never shared.
I’m continuing my outerwear streak with another StyleArc design (surprise, surprise), the Josephine Coat.