I’ve wanted to sew silk blouses ever since I started sewing. They just feel so special when you wear them. To that end, I’ve bought a lot of silk and a lot of appropriate patterns. And I’ve sew approximately 1 silk blouse (the one I posted last week!). Time for that to change! I want to make Vogue 1412 (View A), but talked myself out of it because it had so many fiddly bits: sleeve plackets, concealed button band, and precise front tucks. Not the right pattern to start sewing with silk crepe de chine, which is what most of my silk is. So I decided to use Butterick 5997. Combining bodice D with sleeves from A. I don’t always love the envelope pictures…but I have to say that this woman looks pretty awesome in this magenta blouse! The fabric is a Betsey Johnson silk from Vogue Fabrics. It is really pretty in person…but I don’t think it’s a crepe de chine. I don’t pretend to know a ton about fabrics weaves, but this fabrics doesn’t drape or feel like any of the other crepe de chine fabrics I’ve ordered. It’s still really pretty, and I like my new top, but I recently saw this fabric (with the black background) recommended by Caroline on Sewaholic for the new Oakridge blouse. Given the lack of drape, I think it would be more appropriate for the Granville blouse.
I made a size 12 without alteration (despite my apparent need for a broad shoulder adjustment…) and it fits great. I’ve worn it twice now and I’m very comfortable in it. I like how it is relatively fitted through the bust and then loose through the torso. The only annoying bit is the front facing which needs to be adjusted after putting on. But it doesn’t cause an issue much after that. Since I typically avoid facings at all costs, I considered using bias tape somehow, but I really like how the facing makes the front v-neck streamlined and without any topstitching.
Please excuse my earmuffs in these pictures…it’s COLD outside!
I’m really happy with the sleeves too. I don’t think I ever roll down the sleeves of my Archers, so it just makes sense to keep them rolled up forever. The sleeve bands are sewn together so I can’t roll them down….and they can’t accidentally roll down either.
The blouse was actually really easy to make! Since this silk is more stable and not as shifty, the pintucks weren’t so terrible to make. I hadn’t made pintucks before and sewed them at 1/8″. Even sewing this small allowances reduces the shoulder length and neckline length overall…so I eased the shoulder seams and to match. I’m not sure if this is the *right way, but it worked :)
I’m taking my silk sewing to the next level and currently working on a button-up lilac silk crepe de chine blouse…should be done soon actually.
And I went to JoAnn today and took advantage of the 5 for $5 sale….I bought 20 for $20 :) Most are tops patterns!