As with all garments I’ll be posting in the near future, I made this a while ago, probably mid-July. It’s the StyleArc Issy Top which has been pretty popular around the blogosphere since it’s release.
I made this top with a very drape-y and stretchy rayon knit in a lovely taupe. As with my StyleArc Rosie top, as drafted, this top was too large for me. I ordered these patterns before StyleArc started offering simple patterns for free to determine your size, such as the ruched Ann top. So I followed the size chart and ordered a 10 for all top/blouse patterns and an 8 for pants patterns. Unfortunately, it seems that I should have ordered an 8 for all patterns.
Nevertheless, I like how this top ended up! I had to take in quite a lot on the side seams to make it fit – otherwise the ruching just looked sad and added weight to my torso. I also shorted and squared off the bottom – I’m not a fan of uneven kit hems, I just end up fidgeting with them. I think I’ll try this pattern again with a thicker more stable knit and see if that helps the fit issues.
Yay for pretty sunset pictures! All the tutorials are right….photos at sunset turn out wonderfully!
Here I’m wearing the top with my Grainline Moss Mini. Unfortunately, this skirt was out of commission for most of the summer. After the first wash some of the stitches along the waistband came undone due to grading the seams too short and in the chaos of wedding planning, I didn’t take care of it until before the honeymoon :(
The instructions are typical for StyleArc: Minimal. After cutting out the front piece, I made sure to keep out the pattern piece. This was essential for matching up the various notches.
I found the top went together quite easily actually. I was most confused when it said to ‘finish the neckline”. I didn’t know whether it would end up being visible in the finished product and whether I could leave it unfinished or needed to serge/coverstitch it. I ended up leaving it unfinished until after I assembled the top, only to find it was indeed visible and then I coverstitched it as best I could. Just an FYI to anyone planning to make the top!The arms look a little loose in these pictures but I don’t remember thinking that…will have to check next time I wear it.