I knew from the beginning that I wanted to sew something for the wedding. But I didn’t want to stress myself out with taking on too much. I said no to sewing my wedding dress, bridesmaid dresses, and junior bridesmaids dresses. So robes seemed like a best option! All my bridesmaids were about the same size and since robes aren’t suppose to be fitted, I didn’t worry about any fitting issues! Best of all worlds!
While I don’t like the current ‘mix n’ match’ bridesmaid dresses trend, I am a fan of unique floral robes. I decided to go with cotton fabric for a few reasons: 1) Easier to sew than silk, 2) cheaper than silk, and 3) the fabrics are opaque! As I’ll describe below, though I love my lace robe, you then have the issue of…well, what am I going to wear underneath it?!
In total, I made 5 robes: 3 for bridesmaids, 1 for a friend who was getting ready with us, and 1 for my junior bridesmaid. On the left below, you’ll see the three cotton prints I bought from Mood in NYC last January. And the final robes on the right! Unfortunately, in the chaos of getting ready, I forgot to ask for a picture of all the girls with our robes on!! The other fabrics I used were a more loosely woven cotton purchased from FabricMart (the navy floral to the right of my lace in the top right) and a Rashida Coleman-Hale voile.
I’m really happy with the way all the florals semi-match. Well, at least they don’t clash!
I apologize for the lack of actual sewing involved in this post. I’m terrible at taking pictures during the sewing process and I kept assuming I’d take some pictures during the next robe assembly. Whoops! I used Vogue 8888 for all the adult robes. I didn’t make any major fitting changes. I obviously left off the lace on the sleeves. What I really love about this pattern is how the ties are attached to the back of the robe! It’s so helpful!
The instructions for this robe are a little confusing and if you’re trying to follow the french seams + pockets instructions, make sure you read them VERY CAREFULLY because they are confusing. Despite making 4 of this robe, I still managed to mess it up on the last one.
All in all, I think they turned out beautifully! And I think (hope) that my bridesmaids liked and appreciated the handmade gift. For the junior bridesmaids robe, I used McCalls 6225. Only alteration was to shorten it quite a bit as it’s drafted to be a long robe and I wanted the length to mimic the adult robes. The fit ended up being great except the sleeves were too short.
Now onto my lace robe. As I mentioned in a previous post, I won this robe in a giveaway on Madalynne’s blog. Though I had already purchased some white cotton fabric to make myself a robe with Vogue 8888, winning this was SO helpful as I was definitely running out of time and patience! And I left my robe for last! It’s a beautiful robe and really added something special to the getting ready photos. The robe is made by Girl with a Serious Dream.
Luckily the robe was just the right size and I love the scalloped edge along the neckline. The only critiques I’ll add to the robe is that it’s really short and, not surprisingly, see-through. I couldn’t change anything about the length but I obviously needed a slip to wear underneath the robe. Since I was running out of time, I didn’t have any plans to make myself a slip.
After a lot of searching, I realized it’s HARD to find a non-fitted slip! They’re all Spanx/shapewear which is not what I wanted. I bought a cheap slip from Amazon.com which I then had to shorten quite a bit so it didn’t hang below the lace robe. Now, this was relatively easy for me since I sew and used my coverstitch machine…but I can imagine these issues wouldn’t be so easy for someone without these skills!
Other Wedding-Related Posts: