I still have quite a few garments that I need to blog about from earlier this summer…but before I get to those, I want to write about the Renfrew T-shirt I made. I finally gave in a bought SIX of the Sewaholic patterns. I’ve already made two versions of the Pendrell blouse (soon to be blogged), have a version of the Cambie half-made on my dressform, and fabric purchased for the Minoru and Cordova jackets!! The main reason I shied away from the Sewaholic patterns is because they’re drafted with a pear shape in mind. Accordingly, I am a size 8-8-0 in Sewaholic patterns for the bust-waist-hips, respectively. This is a pain because I’m lucky enough to have fairly ‘typical’ measurements that don’t usually require much alteration from the Big 4 pattern companies so if I can avoid alterations then that’s great! I just couldn’t resist these beautiful patterns though!
Alright, on to the Renfrew. I went with my bust measurement and made a size 8 throughout, which turned out to not be terribly off. This pattern is really wonderful. I have just started to do a lot of sewing with knits and the armbands, waistband, and neck banding are such nice finishes compared to the few narrow hems I’ve done on other garments. I used another knit from girlcharlee.com.
This was the first picture I took with the top on. I made a funny face because I don’t particularly like the way it fits. However, you can’t really tell in the picture because I had just pulled it down to fit properly.
So I had to take some more pictures to demonstrate my problems. I’m not quite sure how to fix it although I have a few guesses that I will try out (see below).
This is how it looks after pulling it down to fit well:
Since I had recently made a tank top based on Marcy Tilton’s Vogue 8904 that fits really great, I thought I’d compare the patterns near the shoulders and armscye. Just as others had mentioned on their blogs, it looks like the Renfrew top has a very high armscye which could be contributing to the bunching. Renfrew pattern is on top and Vogue 8904 below.
So I think that lowering the armscye will be my first attempt to fix the problem. I’ve never done an alteration like this before and armholes already frighten me so…this will be interesting.
I was actually surprised to find that my tank top was tighter across the bust than the tee. I had read on a few blogs that the bunching above the bust could be due to not having enough width at the bust and as a result the fabric naturally slides to where it is less stretched. Similarly to how a belt, without loops, will move to your natural waist instead of your hips.
Despite this bunching, I still really like the t-shirt and will wear it often. And honestly, I’m being over critical since I made the garment (as compared to purchasing it). I tried on many other purchased t-shirts after I finished my Renfrew and realized that I have these bunching problem on essentially all my tops so I should stop being such a spazz and perfectionist!